St Cuthberts Dec. 2001 (Billy Davies Photo)
The 19th century also witnessed the expansion of religious interest in the town and a growth in the number of churches. The earliest example was the establishment of a Methodist chapel in 1843, with several others following throughout the town.
In 1873 St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church opened and in 1875 and 1881 St. Cuthbert's and St. Oswald's opened respectively. St. John's Church, part of which was converted from Ellison Hall, opened in 1887 and the Roman Catholic church of St. Aloysius followed in 1888
Because he had workers of all denominations, Leslie (the shipyard owner) offered to build a spire on the first of the new churches to be completed. As can be seen below, St. Andrew's benefitted.
(Click on the thumbnails below to see a larger version of each picture)
St. Cuthbert's (interior photos courtesy of Barry Lamb)
New crosses being fitted after
storm damage in spring 2002
St. Andrew's (no longer used as a Church)
St Aloysius has a nice website of its own <Click Here>
Victoria Road West Gospel Hall